So, I’m all for leftovers. But not the typical, scoop it out of the Tupperware, ignore the unappetizing square-shape it’s still in, smack it in the microwave and enjoy the soggy results. Don’t get me wrong, those days come often enough with such a busy schedule. However, I’m talking about using all those left-over ingredients from dinner the night before.
ingredients for gourmet quesadillas:
- whole-wheat pita bread (or tortilla if you prefer, I just had pitas from last night’s dinner)
- feta cheese
- black beans
- red pepper, sliced into thin strips, a.k.a. julienned (if you speak kitchen…)
- salt and pepper
- oilve oil
- cilantro-lime dressing (click for recipe)
- In a saucepan, saute red peppers in a bit of oil.
*Cover with a lid and saute on medium-low heat for about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally and be careful because they will burn easily!
- When peppers are soft, transfer to a plate. Put beans and corn in that same saucepan and warm on low heat, careful not to burn or overheat.
*when the beans start to crack open, they’ve been cooking for too long.
- While beans and corn are warming, place pita (cut in half)/tortilla) on another saucepan and sprinkle feta cheese on top. Allow to melt slightly.
- Put bean/corn mixture on top of the feta-melted tortilla, and add the red peppers, avocado and salt and pepper.
- Drizzle cilantro-lime dressing on top.
- Place the other tortilla on top, and voila!