As a recently-married, full-time student, there are two things I’m always running out of. Time and money. With my obsession of cooking, I’ve had to learn how to make homemade, healthy and delicious dinners that are quick to make and within our budget…
Most girls my age do that “mental battle” thing at the mall. They find that perfect shirt they really
need want, and spend the next 15 minutes trying to justify why it’s ok to buy it, and why this time, the budget will be forgiving of that adorable new outfit. Yaaa, I do that too, but it’s usually in the produce section of the grocery store…embarrassing. It usually involves that devilishly delicious mango, which given it’s the month of March, costs $2 for ONE. Ugh…
Sooo, I’ve had to learn how to eat on a budget. Buy food in bulk. Plan recipes for the week that have similar ingredients, so I can stretch things a little further.
This Mexican quinoa bowl was the result of my efforts to use similar ingredients for my meals throughout the week. Earlier this week, I made quinoa stuffed acorn squash, and you’ll notice many of the same ingredients from that recipe pop up in today’s quinoa bowl. Mission accomplished! (Well, besides the kind of expensive strawberries we ate with it…the result of my mental battle this week. Eeek.)
Mexican quinoa bowl
ingredients: *serves 2-3
- 1 chicken breast
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt, pepper (plus some for seasoning)
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1/4 cup black beans
- 1/3 cup corn
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1/2 red pepper, sliced in to small pieces
- 1/2 avocado
- feta cheese, cilantro, sour cream for topping
- Combine garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, salt, pepper and 1/4 tsp chili powder in a medium bowl. Mix well. Cut the chicken breast into small cubes and add to the bowl, stir it around until it’s all covered in the seasoning.
- Heat some oil in a large skillet and add the chicken. Cook it on low heat until it’s white in the middle, about 5-7 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and add the diced onion and red pepper. Cook on low heat until they are soft.
- Add the corn, beans and quinoa, and allow to warm.
- Stir in the chicken and the rest of the chili powder. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Garnish with cilantro, avocado slices, feta cheese and sour cream.