In all my years of cooking experience (which add up to about 3…) I have never produced a more delicious hunk of meat. This pork is TO DIE FOR. But don’t die or you won’t be able to enjoy its succulent, sweet flavor.
Besides being mouth-wateringly delicious, this recipe has another thing going for it. It’s cooked in a crock-pot which, in my opinion, is the best invention after the Shop-Vac.
I just can’t seem to describe my feelings for the crock-pot without getting emotional. That’s just how much I loooove it.
I can’t take all the credit for this recipe however. It comes from pinchofyum.com, which I highly recommend subscribing to. I just made a few adjustments and voila! Incredible pork carnitas.
ingredients for pork: (Will serve about 4 people. If you’re just cooking for 2, save the leftovers for another recipe which will be coming later this week!)
- 2-4 lbs. pork shoulder
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped in small pieces
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- juice of a lime
- ½ cup orange juice
- 1 can chicken broth
- ½ cup salsa
*I used a lime-flavored salsa and it was really good
directions for pork:
- Chop your garlic and rub all over the pork shoulder. Place the meat in the crock-pot.
- Mix together the salt, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, oregano and cinnamon. Rub the seasonings onto the pork. (Don’t be shy, really RUB it in!)
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, chicken broth and salsa. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred the meat in the crock-pot.
- Serve on tortillas with fresh cilantro, avocado, cheese (I used pepper-jack) and fresh pico de gallo.
ingredients for pico de gallo
- 2 large red tomatoes
- 1 small white onion
- LOTS of cilantro
- juice from a lime
- 1 jalapeno pepper, cut into tiny pieces
- salt to taste
directions for pico de gallo
- Cut tomatoes into small chunks
- Dice the onion and jalapeno
- Wash and chop cilantro into smaller pieces
- Add everything in a bowl, mix together and refrigerate for at least an hour
P.S. Make sure to keep all the leftovers! They’ll be used for another scrumptious recipe, which will be coming soon!